Crosslinking of the cornea - what is it?
Crosslinking is an effective treatment for keratoconus (a progressive change in the shape of the cornea). Crosslinking stops corneal deformation, strengthens the frame of the cornea and helps maintain vision.
How is the crosslinking process going?
Crosslinking is carried out on an outpatient basis for 60-90 minutes. The procedure consists of the following steps:
- Crosslinking as “cementing” the cornea - reliably strengthens its structure
- Anesthetizing drops drip onto the surface of the cornea
- The laser is prepared for work, the eye is centered
- The upper layer of the corneal epithelium is removed
- The cornea is saturated with riboflavin
- The exposure to ultraviolet radiation of a given frequency
- A contact lens is put on the cornea.
Anesthetizing drops drip onto the surface of the cornea
The laser is prepared for work, the eye is centered
The upper layer of the corneal epithelium is removed
After surgery, the eye needs a rehabilitation period. We always warn patients that immediately after cross-linking, some visual impairment, the appearance of fog in front of the eyes, are possible. But after a couple of days, the clarity of vision will begin to improve. Full stabilization usually occurs within 6-12 months.
Remember that for the success of the procedure it is extremely important to observe all the appointments of the attending physician: wear soft lenses, instill antibacterial drugs, undergo examinations at the appointed time.
For each patient our doctors select an individual scheme for the recovery period. You just have to trust us. In the Eye Clinic of Dr. Belikova, you can undergo a comprehensive examination of the organs of vision and, if necessary, get high-quality treatment